Hubby took a phone call from work beginning of September, youngest son was in the car...he was offered a job in South Africa...would I go?
Hell, yes I would..wouldn't you?
As son overheard we told middle son and they both said YES YES YES. It's something we've talked about as a family for the past 4 years we've just been waiting for it to happen.
We will find out next week.....or the week after...or the week after that.....and we are still waiting.
Don't tell anyone said hubby, and promptly told his best mate and the neigbours....I had to tell someone also...so most of you on twitter know by now.....and had to discuss it with family in case the kids said anything. The hardest call was to the boys Dad to check he wasn't going to say no, but thankfully he said Yes, it was a great opportunity and he could always come and visit. (Didn't think that one through, did I?)
I then had to tell my 18 year old. He only left home 4 days earlier and there I was telling him we may be moving on the other side of the world. His response 'Well I'll be a proper Nanna's boy now, won't I?'
We've discussed renting/selling the house. What do we do with all the furniture, how much does it cost to ship stuff abroad? I'll have to sell my car.
Schools? Safety? Rent or buy? Rent, have since found out that if we buy we won't be able to take our moneyback out.
Financial advisor? Off shore account? Mobile phone contract, still got a year to run.
OMG what do we do first? What will we forget? We've thrown our lists in the bin, the excitement has died down. We'll end up jinxing it.
Now I've got Mum and Dad on phone most days...have you heard yet? Had the chance to develop my career, put it on hold. Do I cancel the next part of my degree? Can I continue with The OU in South Africa.
So we find out this week, sometime, big meeting in the states, many items being discussed. Peter is on a list of many decisions to be made.
All we can do now is cross our fingers, carry on with daily life, don't make any plans for the immediate future, replied Yes to a wedding next year knowing we won't be able to go to it if we move.
I've found something to do. South Africa or not we are decorating, repainting the outside of the house, new fence panels and got rid of all the junk and been having fun sorting it and taking it to the boot sales.
Watch this space I'll let you know soon what's going on, and Yes, we will be disappointed if it doesn't go ahead but it'll be for a reason and we'll find something else just as exciting to do, somehow.