I need a ToR to apply for approval to transfer my normal place of residence including animals which allows me to import goods into the UK and not pay import duties and charges.
I qualify to complete a Tor if I meet the following conditions:
- have lived outside the EU for 12 consecutive months
- have used and had possession of goods for at least 6 consecutive months
- have used the goods and are going to continue using them in the new place of residence in the UK for at least the next 12 months
- be importing the goods within 12 months of coming to live in the UK
- not lend out, pledge, give away, hire out or transfer the goods within the first 12 months after the date on which they were imported
I need to also provide the following documentation:
- black and white copy of the photo page from my passport
- a signed list of goods I wish to import
- proof of residency in the country I'm transferring from, with name and address of residency
- evidence of my right and intention to move to the UK. Contract of employment, purchase or rental agreement
In the meantime I've been to Dubai Islamic Bank to ensure my address reads as the Villa and not the PO Box number and obtained a statement to prove I've been living outside the UK/EU for the past 12 months. I will add a copy of my current visa. I'm not sure what paperwork I can provide for moving back to the UK. The family home was purchased in 2002 and is in Peter's name, not mine or joint and I won't be working.
I have to wait until I'm in the UK to obtain proof of residency there by setting up the council tax and utilities, which I can then add to the HMRC form to avoid paying tax/duty on the pets and our container.
I have to provide an itemised list of all our belongings and their replacement cost in the UK for insurance purposes. I kept the records from our first move to South Africa and then onto Dubai, some things we no longer own so they'll come off and new items will be added.
Not all our furniture is returning to the UK on this trip. Peter will need to furnish an apartment in Dubai for the next 2-3 years until he retires and as I will be splitting my time between the 2 countries it will be nice to create 2 proper homes rather than feeling like we're only half living in each place.
Some of these links aren't yet live and will be updated.
Repatriation or Operation Relocation
Part 1 Things we have to do
Part 2 Starting to get organised
Part 3 Transfer of Residence
Part 4 Relocating pets. Dubai to UK
Part 5 Sorting out our new home in the UK
Part 6 Bob and Pushkins arrive in the UK. What do they think of it?
Part 7 Renting an apartment in Dubai
Part 8 Vacating a Villa in Dubai
Part 9 Moving Day
Part 10 Relocation