We chose to stay in Hermanus to Whale Watch, naively we assumed it would be like ‘oh look there’s a whale’ but sadly not.
Although Whales can be seen here September till December it does require a little more effort than a room with a sea view.
So without any Whale pictures to post I thought I’d share some of the things I found out about The Southern Right Whale and Hermanus.
- Hermanus is generally regarded as the best land based whale watching centre in the world. Acknowledged by the World Wildlife Fund for nature WWF.
- Hermanus has the worlds only whale crier, Eric Davalala who patrols the streets blowing his kelp horn alerting tourists to the position of the whales.
· Calves are born tail first
· Calves measure 5-6 meters at birth
· The mother takes the calf to the surface for their first breath
· Within 30 minutes of birth a calf has learnt to swim
· Gestation period is 12 months
· A fully grown male is around 15.2 meters long and a female 16.5 metres
· The life span of a Southern right whale is between 90-100 years